How can the same event be the very worst day for one and the very best day for another? I don’t like to be negative so I will elaborate on the BEST part instead of the worst. Please bear with me. This story ends well!
The day my best friend/husband left for Heaven was the worst day of my life, but remembering some facts from God’s Word that day helped me tremendously.
- He was immediately in Heaven with Jesus. (We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:8)
- He was no longer in pain. (And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. Revelation 21:4)
- I would see him again. (King David said this about his baby that died. I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me. 2 Samuel 12:23)
It has been 18 months since David left for Heaven. For the first several months as each “month anniversary” rolled around, I would get really sad reliving the events of that horrible day.
But at some point, instead of dwelling on MY feelings, I began thinking about what that day was like for David, as a Christ follower.
That’s when my whole perspective changed! The best I can understand from reading the Bible, I think these are some things that happened on that first day in Heaven for David.
- I think David heard Jesus say, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things; enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21)
- That was the day he was able to see his Savior, the lover of his soul, face to face!
- That’s the day all his problems ended…..forever!
- That’s the day he felt pain for the last time!
- That’s the last day he felt tired!
- That’s the last day he needed a clock!
- That’s the day he was able to look into Jesus’ eyes, fall at His feet, and thank Him for dying for him!
- That’s the day he got to hug Jesus!
- That’s the day he saw his father and friends that he had been missing for so long!
- That’s the day he REALLY worshiped God uninhibited by his sinful nature or the distractions of this world!
- That’s the day he entered a place that will never know darkness because Jesus Christ is the light!
- That’s the day he walked on streets of gold and toured his mansion!
- That’s the day his faith became sight!
- That’s the day he sang with the angels and other saints! (As a song leader at church he often talked about how wonderful it would be to sing in heaven.)
- That’s the day he got all his questions answered! (He was an engineer always wondering about something and searching for answers.)
- That’s the day he become fully satisfied! (I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness. Psalm 17:15)
- That’s the day he quit reading the Word (Bible) because he was with The Word (Jesus)! (In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1)
- That day was precious to God. (Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints. Psalm 116:15)
- That’s the day he entered his eternal home…the place he was made to dwell forever with God!
If you have had a loved one leave this world and he/she was a new creature in Christ because they had repented of their sins, trusted in Jesus for their salvation, and publically confessed Jesus as Lord of their life, you can be encouraged by this!
Our loved ones leaving this life can be the worst day for us who are left behind, but the very best for them as they are entering Heaven. It’s not that our loved ones wanted to leave us, but God called them home. As we think of what they are now enjoying, it eases our pain of missing them. And we can look forward to a wonderfully, exciting, endless day with them if we have trusted Christ as our Savior!
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. (Romans 8:18)
Keep looking up!